I recently shared my new family photo wall on Facebook, when a friend of mine asked if I could share how I was able to get them all straight. Well, Jackie...this one is for you!
Step 1: Decide on a layout. The one we used was one that we spotted at IKEA. I took a picture on my phone and used it as a reference. There are plenty of different ways to organize your photo walls. Michael's even sells templates that you can attach to your wall to help you. It would be the same as doing this, but much easier!
Step 2: Lay out some paper to create your layout. I used some of my son's drawing paper and laid it out on the kitchen table, as this was the largest space available in our home. You could easily do this on the floor, but my dog would have enjoyed walking all over it.
Step 3: Create a baseline as a guide. I started by making a line two inches from the top of my paper. Now that I think about it, the edge of the paper itself would have worked too.
Step 4: Place and measure frames on the top row. I started with on of the 8x10 frames on the top. I made a small dot at each of the corners. Then, I measured 1.5" from the marking on the top right corner of the frame to serve as my spacing between frames. I placed the next frame down, marked it's corners, and then measured another 1.5" for spacing. Once the top row was completed, it was time to do the bottom. You could do the bottom at this time, however, my analytic and OCD side was coming out because the frames weren't lining up just right for me. I chose to do the next step once the paper was on the wall and I could bring out the laser level.
Step 5: Choose a location on the wall and hang your template. The great thing about making a template is that it allows your to make sure that you are happy with the location before making any holes in the wall! I wanted to cover up some unsightly outlets that were high up on our wall.
Step 6: Place and measure frames on the bottom row. This is where it became complicated and confusing for me. I used the laser level for this step too. The frame on the bottom left had to line up with the frame on the top left. The left 8x10 on the bottom row and the left 5x7 frame on the top had to line up. Finally, the frames on the right all had to line up. With my husband's handy level holding expertise, I was able to mark where the frames would go. The level was also used to make sure that the tops of all the frames were aligned and to make 1.5" spacing marks.
Step 7: Measure midpoints for each frame. These will become your nailing points. I used two points for the larger 8x10 frames. With the smaller 4x6 frames, I used the level to make sure that each of the nail marks were in line with each other. Again, the analytic and OCD side of me is making it's way out!
Step 8: Hammer in nails.
Step 9: Remove paper layout from wall leaving nails in.
Step 10: Hang photo frames.
Now you have a beautiful photo wall!
**Of course, due to human error, there will be some minor differences in height. At least this way you'll get better results than not using a template!














Wow! It turned out beautiful! I wish I had the patience! Your hardwork really paid off. Thanks for the post.
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome, Jackie! It did take some time, but I'm really happy with how it turned out.
DeleteYou should teach my mom and Mike how to do this to their wall of frames...
ReplyDeleteI think you may be right!
Delete